The Gerry Aust Rotary High School Scholarship program provides 2 students from each high school in TUSD with a $1000 one time scholarship to be used for higher education.
Gerry Aust passed away in 2017 and was a long term member of the Tustin Santa Ana Rotary Club and worked for 37 years in the Tustin Unified School District in 1963. Over the years, he taught at Utt and Hewes middle schools and served as assistant principal at Hewes. He went on to serve as principal of Arroyo and Veeh elementary schools, and at Columbus Tustin and Utt middle school. For many years, Gerry managed the selection and interviews of high school scholarship candidates, and often provided additional funds himself to make sure higher education dreams could be fulfilled.
Why we have this scholarship?
Forty percent of all students in Tustin Unified School District live in poverty. Many of these students meet the requirements to attend universities; however, they struggle to pay tuition, room and board, books and supplies, and fees. These scholarships allow students to attend college who would be otherwise unable to attend. Scholarships will be distributed to all four high schools in the Tustin Unified School District.
This year (2021) applications, interviews and awards will be conducted entirely ONLINE
How to apply? Online Scholarship Application
Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, April 2, 2021 at 9:00pm.
How it works (after submitting your application):
- We will contact your school to discuss your application with counselors and other school staff
- We review each application and select those candidates who will receive an interview.
- We will then arrange (by phone and/or email) to meet with selected applicants for a 10 to 15 minute interview using the ZOOM App.
- We inform the selected applicants via email, and arrange to present your award at a Rotary club meeting, either online or in person.
- We will also make a presentation to the student at your school during your Awards Night or graduation ceremony, whenever that takes place.
The Club provides scholarships for several years, funded by charitable donations from individuals and our annual Tustin Lobsterfest event.
Advertising is done through the high schools for candidates. Interact Clubs Members at each of the high schools also help to spread the word of scholarships’ availability. The Club features winners in our Newsletter and a press release to the Tustin News.