1751 S Lyon St
Santa Ana, CA
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station update
Presenter: John Dobken
The San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) first opened in 1968 with the plant’s first unit. The first unit was closed in 1992. Additional units were opened in 1983 and 1984, with upgrades designed to last 20 years. Located between the ocean and Interstate 5, the station is a prominent landmark because of its twin hemispherical containment buildings, which were designed to contain any unexpected releases of radioactive material from the power generators. However, both remaining reactors were shut down permanently in 2013 and is in the process of decommissioning.
The plant is owned by Edison International, San Diego Gas & Electric and the City of Riverside Utilities Department. The decommissioning of the plant will take many years, with Southern California Edison announcing in August 2014 that the process will take about 20 years, until 2034.
Now 8 years into the decommissioning process, come and listen to the progress that has been made, what is coming up, and their ongoing commitment to protect the community and the environment.
Open invitation, all are welcome!!!